Friday, March 30, 2012

{green smoothie}

I have gotten into a very bad habit.
I ALWAYS forget to eat breakfast. Crazy right? Especially since im a nursing mama. 
Breakfast is a very important meal.. & i cant seem to remember it with all the craziness in this house! Wake up, send off husby to work, feed  the baby, dress the baby, play with baby, make our bed, put baby down for nap, do the laundry, clean the kitchen, ... at this point, {usually like 1130} i realize i havent eaten yet..& i end up eating just whatever i can find, usually not the healthiest thing. Bad mama! 

I have found a couple of ways to remedy this problem. 
There are a couple of quick breakfasts that i make now that are filled with delicious & healthy things that get me through the morning. 

The first is a Green smoothie
I have tried a couple of different recipes but this one is my favorite & i have it almost every morning now. I look forward to it! {Found original recipe here}
Recipe:
1 {frozen} banana, pre cut
2 cups/handfuls spinach
1 Tbsp Almond butter or peanut butter
3/4 Cup plain or vanilla almond milk 
1/2 Cup greek yogurt plain or vanilla
some ice

* put it all in a blender & blend until there are no lumps & it looks kind of bubbly.

This smoothie is filled with lots of wonderful things: Vitamins, protein, Iron, Fiber, potassium, magnesium & calcium, are just a few.  & it tastes super yummy! I promise. You cant even taste the spinach AT ALL. & its pretty filling too! I almost forget to eat lunch :) oops!

Enjoy :) 
Happy Friday! 

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, Ashley. It was very delicious. My fiance even enjoyed it. I plan on trying the green monster overnight oats soon! Have you tried them? I just have to get a good blender now, as I am very excited about this smoothie!
    Starla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad you enjoyed it!
      Dont think i have heard of "monster" overnight oats.
      We do make refrigerator oats a couple times a week, maybe its the same thing?
      Ill actually b posting about refrigerator oats soon.

      Delete
  2. What kind of blender do you have? I just purchased a kitchen aid blender but I prefer glass canisters to plastic ones so I want to exchange it for another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the brand is "black & decker"
      We got it as a wedding gift over 3 years ago, & it has held up nicely!

      Delete
  3. Here is the website to the recipe. Sorry, I don't remember how to make it a link. haha. Anyway, it is a green smoothie combined with overnight oats.
    http://ohsheglows.com/2012/03/23/green-monster-vegan-overnight-oats-getting-back-into-running/
    Starla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh thanks! sounds delicious! Ill have to give it a try

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I just tried it today and it was delicious! I really enjoy reading your blog, thanks again!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you eat well while you were pregnant? Do you have any posts about that or tips on how to keep up with all the nutrients that are needed? I tend to miss meals, too, simply due to being busy so I'm afraid of that carrying into when I get pregnant. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My entire pregnancy I worked at our families restaurant. My last day was 3 weeks before i had G. {so lots of running around}
      I would eat eggs for breakfast almost every day {because i craved them} & a salad for lunch. Besides that, i brought fruit to work {bananas, apples, oranges} & i always had Luna bars in my purse. So i almost always had a fairly healthy snack available. I tried to eat pretty healthy while i was pregnant, but of course i still had bad cravings {Root beer!} & i gave in every now & then. I also had aversions. I could not stand to eat chicken or meat the whole time i was pregnant, & i still dont want chicken, 4 months post partum. The body is a strange thing. I also took a Prenatal vitamin perscribed by my Dr. Im anemic so i needed extra extra iron during pregnancy. Oh & i was a competition swimmer growing up, so for excercise while prego, swimming was a natural choice for me. I tried to swim every day, until it got too cold.
      Even though i ate pretty healthy & stayed so active, i still gained 45 pounds {yikes!} but 2 weeks post partum ,i had lost 30+ pounds, & i hadnt done anything. I think it fell off so quickly because i ate so well & drank LOTS of water.
      The luna bars were a Godsend. They were yummy & easy to eat too. I ate lots of them while i was prego, when i was in the hospital after having baby & when i came home & was nursing {u are seriously starving!}
      Hope this helps! Let me know if you have other questions :)

      Delete