Friday, September 23, 2011

{Soy nut butter cookies}



My whole life i have had a severe peanut allergy, along with many other allergies. I was that kid that had to carry an Epi pen in my backpack, just incase i came in contact with peanuts, because my body would go into anaphylactic shock, not very fun. We always had a goofy "Peanut free zone" sign on our class room, all because of me. & im pretty sure i had a pin that looked almost identical to the one pictured on the top of this post. So embarassing.  As i have grown up though, all of my other allergies kind of dissapeared! The only one that has stuck around is this peanut allergy. Being allergic to peanuts can be kind of difficult sometimes, especially when everyone is talking about how yummy a certain food or treat is that contains peanut butter. I dont think of yummy when i think of peanut butter or peanuts, i think, "oh my gosh im gonna die". Over the years i have used different substitutes for peanut butter, and my favorite, by far, is Soy nut butter. My husband even likes it. He says it tastes almost identical to the real thing! For all you people out there with peanut allergies, or anyone that just wants a yummy recipe, here is a great peanut free cookie recipe! Enjoy!

{Soy Nut Butter Cookies}
You will need:
1/2 C Shortening or butter
3/4 C Soy nut butter
1/3 C Sugar
1/3 C Brown Sugar
1 egg
2 T milk
1 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 C flour
 1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
Big choc chips

1. In bowl, place your Shortening & Soy butter. 
2. Mix on Medium speed until it looks like this ^. Nice & fluffy :) 
3. add 1/3 C Sugar & 1/3 C Brown sugar & mix again until well blended.
4. Add 1 egg, 2T Milk, & 1 t vanilla to mixture. Beat well.
5. While your mixture is blending, in a Seperate bowl, mix together 1 1/2 C flour, 1 t baking soda, & 1/2 t salt.
6. slowely add your dry mixture to your main mix, as it is still mixxing on low speed. Mix until well blended.
It should look something like this once it is done. 
7. In a small bowl, pour a good amount of sugar.
8. Using a cookie scoop, begin scooping out the dough..
9. Form each ball of dough into a 1 inch ball
10. Continue scooping and rolling dough balls until all the dough is gone.
11. one by one, place your dough balls into the bowl of sugar..
12. Roll them around until they are completely covered in sugar.
13. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
14. Continue this until you have a full pan.
15. Place cookies in the oven & bake @ 375 for 8-10 minutes
When you take them out of the oven, they will look like This! All crackly on the top. Yum! 
If you would like to, place a big choc chip on the top of each cookie & press down. This is optional. The cookies are yummy both ways! We left some plain & added Choc Chips to others. Delicious! 
My husband told me that these cookies taste just like the peanut butter version, so thats a plus! 
This is the brand of Soy nut butter we use. We have been able to find it at most grocery stores in our area. It is delicious :) I am glad we found it! I put it on toast almost every morning! Yum! 

Well, Happy Friday everyone! 

2 comments:

  1. When are you bringing some over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. My 4YO is highly allergic to peanuts too and I wonder if she would enjoy these...

    I'm enjoying your multi-DIY-projects AKA nesting! What a fun time. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete